Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A New Card Design, in time for the Holidays

    from a photographer's notebook...


During my Autumn 2010 visit to Switzerland's Canton Graubünden, I engaged in one of my favorite photographic pursuits - shooting the bright red trains of my favorite railway, the Rhätische Bahn amidst the stunning Alpine landscapes through which they run. I returned to Graubünden (and other regions of Switzerland) this past October for another wonderful stay, but time has been a precious commodity of late, so my photos might be a while in coming - and this little post is about honors for a particular image from last year's visit...

A  high point during the 2010 trip was shooting these trains on the magnificent Landwasser Viadukt, along the Albula Line of the Rhaetian Railway, incidentally a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The weather could not have been more cooperative, allowing me to shoot under consistently fine conditions on several days, whether from a high viewpoint overlooking the Landwasser or from the train.

One of my favorite views, especially from the standpoint of lighting and color was taken from the open window of a Rhätische Bahn Regio Express bound for St. Moritz, looking ahead to the Landwasser as we crossed another magnificent stone viaduct that spans the Schmittentobel.  There was something so satisfying in seeing  the Landwasser up ahead of us, and knowing that the changeable weather conditions along the Albula Line were, once again, going to cooperate as we crossed it.

The image being a favorite, I had a large display print made. I was delighted in learning this evening that "Approaching the Landwasser" was selected for the December All Media show at the Art League Gallery in Old Town Alexandria. It can be seen through the end of December in a large archival 24 x 16 inch print. If you're free this Thursday evening, please stop by for the Artists Reception and say hello (or Grüezi Wohl or Allegra if you prefer!) and I'll tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about my beloved Graubünden and the Rhätische Bahn!

Oh, and with "Approaching the Landwasser" being honored, I decided to add it to my line of custom printed Photo Note Cards.  So, if you're looking for an appropriate Holiday gift for the Alps and/or train lover on your list, do be in touch! The image above shows the card design.

And if you'd like to see a higher definition image, as well as other photos of the trains of the Rhätische Bahn in their wonderful Alpine milieu, and read about some of my adventures in shooting these images, please follow this link to my pages on Foto-Community. Once there, navigate the Rhätische Bahn, Engadin, Swiss Alps, and Kodachrome! folders.

©2011 Steve Ember

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home