Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Hamburg Dreamscape...

...from a photographer's notebook


Bahnhof bei Nacht, a Hamburg Dreamscape                                                                   ©2011 Steve Embe


I wrote last time about the strong connection between my "Birthday Week" and trains. And I suppose there must have been some serendipitous cosmic connection, as Monday's intake night for the Art League Gallery's December All Media Show just happened to fall on my birthday and I had set out Bahnhof bei Nacht, a Hamburg Dreamscape well back in November as a December entry, without taking note of December's intake dates.

So, a nice little birthday "gift" was learning Tuesday that this little collaboration with the Digital Genie, whom I summon out of her bottle from time to time, usually late at night, to peruse my images with me on the computer and play, was selected for inclusion in the December exhibit.

The original photograph from which this "dreamscape" was made was taken in 2010. I had just arrived at the impressive Hamburg Hauptbahnhof after traveling most of the day from Chur in Switzerland. Long trip, even on comfortable SBB and ICE fast trains. Tired? Scampering to my hotel? Not a chance in a photo motif rich place like this! And the couple on the platform? Well, guess I was just living right that evening...

I had, last year, posted the "literal" version of this "Bahnhof Augenblick" on my pages on Foto-Community as I selected images from that very special first visit to the vibrant city of Hamburg, but I felt it might be fun to "mess with it" a bit...and Genie, who must love trains too, agreed.

Hope you like...

And if you are reading this locally, I hope you can stop by the Gallery for the Artists Reception Thursday evening, December 13 and help me celebrate an "extended" birthday-with-trains. The Art League Gallery is on the first floor of the Torpedo Factory Arts Center, at the corner of King and Union Streets in Old Town Alexandria.  Phone: 703-683-1780. 

If you can't make it Thursday, the show will be up through December.

Oh, and two bits of news if you like this image...It and its "literal" version are available in my series of custom printed Photo Note Cards. More information? Be in touch.

©2012 Steve Ember


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home