Monday, July 8, 2013

People will say we're in love...

...from a photographer's notebook


Detail from "People Will Say We're in Love" - Love Locks on the Brooklyn Bridge

What do Oklahoma and the Brooklyn Bridge have in common? 

Nothing, probably.

But if I were to rephrase the question by adding “quotes” and an exclamation mark to Oklahoma…and if you know the easily elicited romantic sensibilities of the scribe of this wee bloggie…I’ll bet you can guess what was playing on the ol' gray matter gramophone last month, as I shot this photo of these "love locks" on the Brooklyn Bridge. *

Something like perhaps “Grantin’ your wish, I carved our initials on that tree…”

Sort of an early version of clamping padlocks on a bridge girder, you think?

And, while I’m guessing many of the couples who leave these “love locks” on the Brooklyn Bridge may never have heard of Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones as Curley and Laurie in the lovely 1955 film version of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Oklahoma!” I’m danged if that’s going to stop me from sharing with you an exquisitely sung (and scored!) romantic duet.

Enjoy!

©2013 Steve Ember
 * If you’d like to see the full photo in higher definition, please follow this link to its page on Foto-Community. Prints and Photo Note Cards featuring this and other images from an afternoon on the Brooklyn Bridge will soon be available. For information, please contact me at the e-mail address at right.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home